Thursday 18 October 2012

Ballast Point: Black Marlin Porter - Review


A couple of months ago (June I think), I stumbled across another US import and luckily it was an IPA. I've mentioned recently that I'm right into IPA's at the moment so I had no hesitation in grabbing some. It was Ballast Point's Big Eye IPA 6.8% abv.

It was great! Extremely flavoursome with hops and, at 75 IBU, very bitter.

And so, upon seeing it's cousin - the Black Marlin Porter - sitting on a shelf a few weeks ago. I found myself pushing an old lady out of the way to get to it. My desperation to take home one of the giant 650ml bottles was far more important than her selection of sherry or whatever it was she was looking at.

The review:


Wow. What an amazing porter!

If you are a porter fan then this will be right up your street. It pours delightfully with a chunky brown head. The American hops and very light chocolate hints balance themselves out perfectly. Each sip was followed by an understated brown malt aftertaste leaving me wanting more of this 6.0% offering. 

The only gripe that I have is that I got stung AU$11.00 for it to find out that Nick only had to shell out AU$7.00 for a bottle a couple of weeks later. Not amused. Stop grinning, Nick.  

Interestingly, the label on the bottle encourages drinkers to combine some Black Marlin with some Big Eye to form a 'Black Eye'. Nice idea. I might just do that.

If you haven't yet tried this, go do it. This must be tried.

Incidentally, if you're wondering what the glass is, it's my 500ml Weihenstephaner glass. Hey, just look at this head.......hmmmmmmm...

 




No comments:

Post a Comment